Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Firefox 3 Add-Ons and Other Stuffs

As a person who uses Firefox on three different computers regularly, synchronizing bookmarks is very essential to me. Earlier I was using Google FF Sync, but it is discontinued with FF3. Fortunately I found Foxmarks. It works great for my need.

Another problem I had was that I can not access some of the private web pages of my research group at UofT from home - the access is denied for external (to UofT) IP addresses. The proper solution is to setup a VPN connection. But, once the VPN is activated, everything goes through the VPN resulting in unnecessary traffic going through UofT. FoxyProxy is a great FF extension to solve this problem. It can filter my http queries so that only a selected queries go through UofT. The only problem is to create an ssh connection to my lab computer and keep it alive all the time. Still, you can safely put the ssh connection in the background using -fN options. The additional benefit of using FoxyProxy is that now I can access premium websites like IEEEExplore and Oxford Online Dictionary from home (UofT has a enterprise subscription to these websites.)

Another excellent extension I am using is FireGestures: it let you perform many menu actions by drawing figures using mouse (like the graffiti handwriting recognition.) If you are a "mouse-man", it is an essential FF extension; but even for a "shortcut-key-man" like me, it helps a lot.

Do you know now you can now make the FF to call gmail compose box whenever you click a "mailto:" link? It is a new feature introduced with FF3. This link has detailed instructions.

No comments: