Sunday, June 10, 2012

Discovering Ruby-on-Rails

I remember the days I wanted to build something and created couple of websites from scratch using PHP and MySQL. I also remember that my free-time endeavour turning into a full-time struggle and the day everything went south due to an SQL-injection attack (never really thought of website security until that point.) Even at that time I knew about Ruby on Rails, but just because I didn't want to learn yet another language, I didn't pursue it. Recently I had to learn Ruby-on-Rails for a webdesign project and came to realize how stupid I was in the past!

I believe Ruby became famous thanks to Ruby-on-Rails and I can really understand why. Ruby-on-Rails (RoR) is simply wonderful! Including the time for learning the fundamentals of Ruby and RoR, you can create a complete website within a week or two. It requires your database tables to be setup in a particular way, but once these tables are in place, you don't even have to worry about SQL queries anymore. Also avoided are the possibiliy of me creating stupid security holes asking for an SQL-injection attack. I also like the concepts of layout and partials that let me to structure the visual design of a website. RoR is much different than content management systems; while RoR argumentally makes publishing content as easy as a CMS does, it also let you have a complete control over your design.

So if you are planning to build a website, please consider RoR. The best documentation for RoR is found here.

1 comment:

Jay said...

That's an interesting thought. Yeah true we never think of security holes till we become victims.

I should give it a try too. RoR sounds promising. Thanks for sharing.